Accidents abroad

(You may choose one of the following courses of action according to the circumstances of the accident)

  • If you are involved in an accident abroad, you must contact the International Insurance Bureau of the country where the accident occurred for further assistance. At the back of your Green Card you may find all contact details of all Bureaux of the countries members of the System.
  • If you are involved in an accident abroad and you are responsible, you should provide the victim with all the details about your green card or your insurance policy. At the same time you should inform your insurance company and the Bureau of the country of accident.
  • If you are involved in an accident abroad for which you are not responsible and you are claiming compensation from the foreign vehicle’s insurance company, you must note down the registration number of the other vehicle and collect information about the other vehicle’s driver/ owner. In order to submit a claim against the foreign insurer whilst you are still at the country of accident, you must collect details of the foreign insurers and contact them directly.
  • If the accident occurred in an EU country and you returned back to Cyprus having all the above mentioned information, you can submit the claim to the Cypriot representative of the foreign vehicle’s insurance company. You may find claims representatives of foreign insurers in Cyprus by contacting the Cyprus Information Centre (Tel.: +357 22807168). This procedure may be followed also in case you are a pedestrian or passenger.